Grasberg, Evangelisch-Lutherische Kirche


Photo: Geert Jan Pottjewijd

Discography

At the bottom 2 photos from Roelof Kooiker

Leaflet about the organ (01) & (02)

Text from the booklet with the CD: "Dietrich Buxtehude Organworks Volume 3"(MDG MD+G L 3270) by Harald Vogel

1694: New organ by Arp Schnitger for the church of the orphanage (Waisenhauskirche) in Hamburg. He received 650 Reichthaler for the instrument

1788: The organ was sold to Grasberg and installed there by Georg Wilhelm Wilhelmy in the new church . Partly new lower case, new action and new keyboards. New Posaune 16' with wood resonators.

1826: Repairs by Georg Wilhelmy.

1862: Rohdenburg exchanged Nasat 2 2/3' and Sexquialtera for Viola da Gamba 8' and Bourdon 16'.

1917: Removal of the frontpipes for use in World-War I.

1950: Restoration by Paul Ott on too low a wind-pressure and therefore the cutups were deepened.
At the bottom of this page you can find a back&white photo of the organ around 1958
At the bottom of this page you can find a colourphoto of the organ before 1980?

1980-1985: Restoration by Hillebrand. Experts: H. Winter and U. Droszella. Scaling data of the pipework for the reconstructed stops supplied by Cor Edskes.

1988-199x: The organ temporarily moved to the monastery of Möllenbeck during the restoration of the Grasberg church.

The photo on the right was taken in 1989 when the organ was in the cloister church of Möllenbeck during the restoration of the church in Grasberg.
Disposition: Schnitger (S), Wilhelmy (1788) (W), Hillebrand (H)
 

Specification: Schnitger (S), Wilhelmy (1788) (W),Hillebrand (H)

Hauptwerk   Brustwerk   Pedal  
Principal 8' (H) Gedackt 8' (S) Supbass 16' (S)
Rohrfloit 8' (S) Rohrfloit 4' (S) Gedackt 8' (S)
Octav 4' (S) Waldfloit 2' (S) Octav 4' (S)
Nasat 2 2/3' (H) Quint 1 1/3' (S) Mixtur IV (H)
Octav 2' (S)  Scharff IV (S) Posaune 16' (W)
Sesquialt II (H)  Dulcian 8' (S) Trommett 8' (S)
Mixtur IV (S)     Cornett 2' (H)
Trommet 8' (S)        

 
Photo: Geert Jan Pottjewijd

Manuals: CDEFGA-c'''
Pedal: CDEFGA-d'
Windsupply: 3 wedged-sheped bellows
Wind-pressure: 68mm
Tremulant
3 Sperrventile
Compass: 1/2 tone above normal
Pitch: Neidhardt III
Manualschiebekoppel

 
Photo: Geert Jan Pottjewijd

 
Photo: Geert Jan Pottjewijd

Textfrom the booklet of the CD: "Dietrich Buxtehude Organworks Volume 3"(MDG MD+G L 3270) by Harald Vogel
In 1694 the Schnitger organ was built for the church of the Hamburg orphanage. According to the contract, Arp Schnitger was to receive 650 Reichsthaler for the two-manual instrument.
in 1788 Georg Wilhelm Wilhelmy, an organ builder from Stade, set up the organ in the newly built Grasberg church. He had taken the instrument over from the dilapidated orphanage. Jürgen Christian Findom had built this church for settlers on the edge of the "Teufelsmoor" northeast of Bremen. Wilhelmy, an organ builder in the Schnitger tradition, constructed a new lower case and a new section, including the keyboards. The pedal division retained its place behind the main case and was supplied with a new 16' Posaune with wooden resonators. The Nasat and Sesquialtera were taken out of the Hauptwerk between 1859 and 1862 and replaced by new foundational stops.
1917 the tin front pipes were (finally) confiscated for use in the war.
The first rebuilding effort with the purpose of restoring the old instrument was undertaken in 1950. The pipework was reconstructed almost in its entirety (lowering of the cutups) because of the very low wind pressure.
Under the direction of a committee of experts, the organ building firm of Hillebrand in Altwarmbuchen restored the instrument between 1980 and 1985. This project, under the direction of the organ experts H. Winter and U. Droszella, must be considerd a model restoration. C.H. Edskes of Groningen supplied scaling data for the reconstruction of the Schnitger stops.
In 1988 the organ was removed from the Grasberg church because of urgent renovations to the building and it was temporarily installed in the choir loft of the monastery in Möllenbeck near Rinteln.
 

Photos by Roelof Kooiker

 

Photo of the organ from around 1958
Source: Klingende Schätze Orgeln zwischen Elbe und Weser

Photo from before 1980?
Source: Denkmalorgels zwischen Elbe und Weser by Seggermann & Weidenbach