Report on the organ by Albert Schweitzer from 1928 (In German)
Photo to the right from Dale C. Carr
1689-1693: Building of the organ by Arp Schnitger, using 25 ranks from the previous organ, which was also a 4-manual instrument, by Gottfried Fritsche.
This instrument in turn also contained older ranks, by Scherer.
1720: J.S. Bach applied for the post of organist. He did not succeed as he did not pay a certain amount of money to the church. Joachim Heitmann obtained the position, paying 4,000 Marks.
1739: Chimes added to the organ.
1760-1761: Repairs and minor changes to the organ disposition by Johann Jacob Lehnert. Viola da Gamba of the Hauptwerk and Trompete of the Rückpositif are his.
1774-1775: Repairs and new manuals by Johann Paul Geycke.
1890: Addition of a pneumatic windchest with 8 stops by Marcussen of Aabenraa.
1917: Removal of the front pipes for the War.
1925: Orgeltagung in Hamburg organised by Hans Henny Jahn. Major stimulus for the Orgelbewegung.
1928-1930: New front pipes by Karl Kemper.
1942: Removal of windchests, pipework and ornaments from the church.
1944: The church destroyed by bombs. Nothing of tracker action mechanism, bellows or case survived.
1948-1950: Preliminary re-installation in the south of the church.
1959-1961: Re-installation in the west of the church with new case and new mechanism.
At the bottom of the page some of Cor Roeleveld's photos of the console and the stopknobs with images representing Mozart etc., a.o.
Photo of the situation after 1959/1961 to the left.
1989-1993: Reconstruction of the organ by Jürgen Ahrend.
|Viola da Gamba||8'||Blockflöht||4'||Sexquialtera||II||Octava||4'||Octava||4'|
|Flachflöht||2'||Siffloit||1 1/3'||Trechter Regal||8'||Gemshorn||2'||Mixtur||VI-VIII|
Photos below and above from: http://www.yale.edu/ism/Yale_Organ_Tour/Tour_images/Cappel_images/
Photo above by Piet Bron. The Schnitger organ with to the left the new organ from 1970 by Kemper (01)
Photos from Cor Roeleveld made of the console of 1959/1961
Photo from Dale C. Carr